Weaning Step 5 - Baby Meal Times
THE IMPORTANCE OF EATING TOGETHER
Do you still recall family meals from your childhood, when everyone would sit together, enjoy good food and chat happily? Eating as a family is vital in establishing a connection between all family members. Not only does eating together promote bonding and social skills, there are no better people to set an example than the people he loves.
3 MEALS A DAY MEANS MORE VARIETY
The previous stages were about getting your baby used to eating solid foods, and trying out different flavours and textures. He should be ready to eat more, and experiment more. In this final stage, your baby is able to eat most of the things your family is eating. However, keep an eye on the portion sizes and make sure all ingredients are healthy and not processed.
ESSENTIAL TIPS FOR STEP 5 WEANING
- Make mealtimes fun and eat together as often as possible.
- Keep feeding him milk every day.
- Make lunchtime the main mealtime for protein-based foods and experimentation, because your baby is more likely to be tired in the evening.
- Keep offering him foods from the previous steps (even the ones he didn’t like, because his likes and dislikes will change on a daily basis).
- Avoid caffeine, sugary or salty foods, and beware of sauces or stock cubes – most of which are high in salt and sugar.
RECIPES FOR STEP 5
WHAT ABOUT ALLERGIES?
If you think your baby is experiencing symptoms that indicate a food allergy, please ask your paediatrician for advice.